Monday, September 23, 2013

"It's the Great Pumpkin", The man behind the hedge, & The Book of Mormon is True!!

Hey, hey,  hey,
I think I say this every week, but seriously, this week flew. It seems like every day just goes by in the blink of an eye. I can see what everyone means when they say appreciate your mission because it goes by FAST! Well, it was another good week in Cooperstown. Not much to complain about. I I did have some really, really, great experiences.... so here we go :)
The wows:
1. TRISH AND HER BOYS PASSED THEIR BAPTISM INTERVIEWS!! Yah, yay! They are officially ready to enter the waters of baptism  on  October 5th. I cannot tell you guys how much I ADORE their family. Like seriously. If all I could do on my mission was help their family, I would be content. They blow me away everyday. They each have such great testimonies! Ahh!!  I love it. (PS. Trish taught the lesson on the Atonement and it was so great! SHE IS THE BEST)!
2. So on Tuesday we were having a bit of a rough day. We were going around, hitting the pavement, trying to find SOMEONE in Cooperstown. We had been knocking on doors, trying to talk to people in the streets, with literally no success. Everyone was dodging us. We were feeling like, "ugh. what even was the point of walking like 5 miles and talking to all these people!" So needless to say I was feeling a bit bummed. So I decided to say a little prayer in my head as we were walking. I basically said "Dear Heavenly Father, please help us to find someone!" Right as I thought the word "someone" I looked to my right and I saw this guy who was gardening, but only for a split second  because then he was hidden behind a hedge. So I was like "Sister Hansen, let's cross the street and talk to that guy!" She thought I was crazy, because she couldn't see anyone. But she did it anyway. We found the man behind the hedge and started chatting. Turns out he had recently been searching for a church, had seen missionaries countless times, but none of them ever stopped. He said he was very interested in coming to church and learning! WHAT! THIS NEVER HAPPENS! Unfortunately, he isn't in our area, so we won't be able to teach him, but still. Does it get more direct than that? What if I hadn't prayed? What if I hadn't walked across the street and talked to this guy! Follow promptings everyone. Even if you think it wasn't a prompting. Follow it anyway.
3. We met James E. Faust's cousin. She wasn't a member and is from DC. But we talked to her and it was cool. #tendermercies
 
The Quirks of Cooperstown:
So this weekend in Cooperstown there was an exciting event. I'm not kidding.  You  guys will get a kick out of this. This weekend was what they call "the Pumpkin Fest". The pumpkin fest is where people grow ridiculously huge pumpkins, then have a weigh off. So there were like 40 massive pumpkins hanging around Cooperstown. Unfortunately we didn't get to see them weigh the biggest one, but rumor has it, it was close to 2000 pounds! Like what? But wait, this pumpkin fest gets better because on Sunday morning they carve out the pumpkins and then use them as boats to race down the Susquehanna River. THIS IS NOT A JOKE! We were so bummed that we missed that one! (Church is more important) ! But I hear its hysterical. Oh Cooperstown. We love you.
The Laughs:
I love being with Sister Hansen because she tries to make everything "missionary fun". We laugh a lot. That's all I'm saying.
1. We volunteer at an old folks home every Wednesday. Ah old people. This week an elderly woman just kept looking at me and saying, "Oh my dear you are so tall, you reach all the way to the ceiling!" I died. Also an old man held my hand and wouldn't let me go. I think the white handbook says something about that not being allowed.... haha!!
2. We missionaries are SO EXCITED FOR CONFERENCE! While talking about it one elder said,
"General Conference is sweet. Its like watching Moses on TV!"
3. Sister Hansen and I have taken to playing "would you rather" while were are driving places. It's hysterical. One of my favorites?
"Would you rather only talk in movie quotes for the rest of your life, or only eat turnips?"
We get pretty random. #missionaryfun
Spiritual Note:
Lets end on a spiritual note shall we? So this week I have had many an opportunity  to really bare my testimony on the Book of Mormon. I have to tell you, If there is anything I know for sure, it's that The Book of Mormon is true. One elder was telling us that he got a list from someone about all the things you would have to do to do EXACTLY what Joseph Smith did. When you look at it, you realize there is absolutely no way Joseph Smith could have done what he did, if he weren't a prophet. He had to have been inspired. I love the talk by Jeffrey R. Holland called 'Safety For the Soul" Watch it. But in it he says...
" For 179 years this book has been examined and attacked, denied and deconstructed, targeted and torn apart like perhaps no other book in modern religious history - perhaps like no other book in ANY religious history. And still it stands. Failed theories about its origins have been born and parroted and have died - from Ethan Smith to Soloman Spaulding to deranged paranoid to cunning genius. None of these frankly pathetic answers for this book have ever withstood examination because there is no other answer than the one Joseph gave as its young unlearned translator. In this I stand with my own great-grandfather, who said simply enough, "No wicked man could write such a book as this; and no good man would write it, unless it were true and he were commanded of God to do so."
I want to let you all know that I know the Book of Mormon is true. I know it. If you don't know it, find out. Because let me tell you, if you know the Book  of Mormon is true, then everything else, is true too!
Ok. sorry I got preachy. #missionaryproblems
Well, I love you all! Keep being great!
XOXO,
Sister Langford

No comments:

Post a Comment