Monday, September 23, 2013

Lovin' Autumn & We're Mermaids!"

Greetings from the big NY!
So can you believe it? Another week has come and passed here in Cooperstown. I tell ya, time fies out here. But, I am loving it. Can I also just say that fall has come in full force this week and I am loving it. Fall is officially my favorite season. Amen!!. This week started out a bit rocky. Like I said before, taking over the area and being in charge is hard. Way harder than you would expect. But the good news is that the Lord is on our side! So let me tell you some good things that happened this week...
The goods:
1. We had to change Trish's baptism date to October 5th,
in between conference sessions. Let me tell you, this was not at first a good thing. I was stressed, because it was kind of my fault for not getting things scheduled in time! I was way bummed that we were pushing it back, and really felt bad. Stress had set in. Well then Trish came in, being the little spiritual giant that she is and told us that she felt like Heavenly Father needed it to be pushed back so she could bear her testimony in sacrament meeting before she was baptized. She also said that it really is for the best. We concluded the Lord works in mysterious ways, but we are SO EXCITED FOR THE BAPTISM!!! Its going to be great.
2. We had a really great exchange in which I got to finally leave my area! Wooo! I spent a lovely day in Hamilton, NY.... and let me tell you, I want to serve there. The people were angels (I was randomly hugged like 3 times), and we got to talk to college students, and its like a real city!  Like, if I was sent there next, I wouldn't be upset!
3. The Harvest Fest! So some members in our branch own a huge apple orchard, so they do this activity where they invite the branch and who ever to come eat and pick apples, then they donate the apples to local food banks! It was a great activity pluuuuuuuuss.... (sub bullets)
     ~We got to pick apples
     ~Eat free food (did I eat like 6 cookies that day? I can neither confirm nor deny)
     ~Interact with the branch
     ~Wear pants (you thrive on these moments as a missionary)
     ~PLUS, Trish came with her husband and mom and we had a super great time!
4. WE PICKED UP A NEW INVESTIGATOR! Oh my, this is such a blessing because it has been FOREVER since that has happened. Getting the work to move here in Coopstown is difficult. But, we have taken a new perspective to find people and we pray that we will continue to see things happen. So who is this investigator you ask?  This is someone we met in my first week of the mission? Well, we are back in contact with her and she is doing AMAZING! She told us that every time she prays for direction, as to what she should do with her life, we knock on her door the next day. She said its happened like 4 times, so she knows that there must be something there. The spirit was incredible in our lesson with her, and we have very high hopes for where it can go!
5. Trish told us SHE wants to teach the next lesson, On the Atonement, To her sons. and she just wants us to back her up. I died with joy and love for her.
The life lessons:
I always have to have a spiritual thought right? (Comes with the calling). Anyway, this week I had been feeling a little down. Like I said before, Sister Hansen and I have been doing everything we can to try and find new people. We have made a goal to not tract, or tract as little as possible. While other activities are much more productive in the long run, they don't seem to yield as immediate of results. I was then listening to a talk by Elder Bednar in which he said the phrase "Do you have the faith NOT to be healed?" and I was thinking of it in terms of a mission. like, "Sister Langford, Do you have the faith not to find?" In other words, do I, or do any of us, have the faith to completely turn it over to the Lord. To let whatever happens, happen and know that it's  in the Lord hands. To completely trust in the Lord and his timing. Its easy to have faith when we are constantly seeing miracles or seeing things progress, but how much more amazing is it to have faith when things aren't progressing, when life isn't peachy. That's real faith. So even though it may seem backwards to have "faith NOT to find" That is what I have been working on. I know that by taking the path we are, things might be slower, but the Lord will bless us, and that I am not taking over the area, but the Lord is.
The laughs:
*while on exhange in Hamilton. Pouring rain. Knocking on a trailer park door*
Old man: "who are you?"
Sister McGreggor: "We're missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints"
Old Man: "what?"
Me: "We're the Mormons!"
Old Man: "You're mermaids?"
Me: *laughing* "even though we are soaking wet, we are actually mormons, not mermaids"
We knocked on a door that had a sign that said "No Jehovahs" and I said "good thing we're mormons!"
Sister McGreggor: "its ok for us to do socially unacceptable things, we're missionaries and we're sharing the gospel dang it!"
Sister Hansen: "We are going to be so prepared for life, like a mission is just a year and a half of super awkward moments"
Well kids, that was the week. It was a good week, there were some good times. I keep hoping that things will continue to get better and we will continue to have faith in Christ!
XOXO
Sister Langford

No comments:

Post a Comment