Monday, August 4, 2014

"Goodbye Corning it's TOGA time, Facebook or Babylon, weekly Miracles, & hoping to Survive the Pack!"

BLOG.....

Hello hello hello.

Everyone. I come bearing CRAZY news. Who is ready to hear about my crazy crazy week? Ok, we can talk about it all.

1. TRANSFER NEWS. TOGA. TOGA. TOGA. Saturday morning we are minding our own business, studying the word, when we get a call from the mission office. My first thought is "what the heck!?" President Wirthlin comes on and asks me to be a Sister Training Leader in Saratoga Springs! YOU GUYS. I'm leaving Corning :(. It's pretty bitter sweet, and I seriously did not see it coming. I've only served here for two transfers. It's gone soooooo fast. But let me tell you, I'm am STOKED to go to Saratoga. Apparently it's a really ritzy area about 45 minutes north of Albany (I'm going clear across the mission again), and it's known for its horse races. Plus get this, my companion is going to be the one and only SISTER LLOYD. Sister Lloyd was in the MTC with me and she is exactly one foot shorter than me. Oh yeah. It's going to be sweet.

As far as leaving Corning, it's pretty bitter sweet. Before I left Norwood I prayed that my next area would help me to grow and that I would know my purpose and be able to fulfill it. I think I told you all about that before. Well now as I leave Corning, I feel SO much peace knowing that I have grown immensely while I've been here. I've realized that God doesn't expect instant perfection from us, all he expects is progression. It's incredible. I also know that even though I didn't see anyone baptized here, I fulfilled my purpose. I did what the Lord wanted me to do. I became an instrument in His hands. Last night I was telling Sister Glenn that I hope that how I feel now, as I leave this area, is exactly how I want to feel when I leave the mission. I'm grateful for how I have changed and I'm excited to hit the 'toga where I can grow even more. But let me tell you, I am NOT looking forward to packing today.

2. FACEBOOK. FACEBOOK. FACEBOOK. Here's the OTHER big news. The Zone Leaders and Sister Training Leaders in our mission are now officially on Facebook. Dude, its weird. To quote one of our Assistants "the first time you get on Facebook it's like getting pounded in the chest with Babylon." He's not even lying. The night we got home from MLC us and the Zone Leaders hopped on Facebook. We filmed everyone's reaction as they first logged in. It's pretty hysterical. Anyway, we are still cleaning it up and getting it all figured out, but be looking for some sweet missionary posts comin' your way!

3. President Wirthlin played a song from Frozen at MLC. and that is all.

4. THE BIG EVENT. This week was also the Owego stake's "Big Event". It was so good. All the missionaries, and a ton of members were there. We ate a ton of food, hiked a bit, played some volleyball and ultimate Frisbee... it was just a gooooood day.  Did I take any pictures of it? No, because I'm a failure. But please enjoy the selfie of Sister Glenn and I wearing our hipster glasses.

So that's all the crazy stuff. Now can we talk about the miracles we saw this week?

1. Investigator B.  Dude.  We had two of the most solid lessons with her ever. The first lesson we taught her about the word of wisdom and get this, her entire family sat in. This has never happened. It was so good. And even though it was kind of a crazy lesson, the spirit was powerful. Then the next time we stopped by, we decided to read the Book of Mormon with her. After we read, she again started to testify to us how she "knew the book of Mormon was true and that Joseph Smith was a prophet." So then I asked, "How do you know that?" She said "I don't know. I just read it, and it feels good and right. And let's be honest, if you read this book you know that no farm boy from New York could write this book." We then testified to her that if the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith were true, then so was everything else. And if everything else was true, she needed to live in accordance with it and be baptized. (Keep in mind this woman has denied the baptismal invitation like 5 times). So we asked, "Will you be baptized?" She was quiet for a minute and then said, "If that's what God tells me to do, then yes, I will be baptized." OH MY GOODNESS. It's so amazing to see the change that has come over her since the first time I met her. Miracles you guys. miracles.

2. J.   This fellow is so solid. This week we taught him the Word of Wisdom and he was not too excited to live it. He kept trying to make excuses, but it was so cool, because the member who was with us was a convert, and she offered to buy his coffee off of him!  Oh man. He's comin' along. He also made it to church again, two weeks in a row. He is seriously just going some real good places. I'm excited for him.

3. A. We did a church tour with him, when we got to a picture of Christ being baptized he just stopped and looked at it very intently. Sister Glenn said, "What do you think is happening in this picture." He responded "Baptism".  He then told us how for some reason he didn't feel like his baptisms in the past had been valid. He was looking for a more complete baptism. WHAT? So we took him in where the baptismal font is and explained to him the priesthood authority and how baptisms here and complete and valid in the eyes of the Lord. He got so excited and basically committed himself to baptism! So good!

Well everyone. that was the week. Miracles happen. I'm gonna miss my darling Corning, but I'm super excited to see what Saratoga has in store. We'll see ya on the flip side. (Pray that I don't die as I try and pack all my stuff today)! 

XOXO,
Sister Langford

No comments:

Post a Comment