Monday, November 25, 2013

"View of the Northern Lights, Potsdam Winter, New Calling, Missing "the Coop" but "All is Well!"

THE BLOG.
 
 Hey everybody. After a week of canceled appointments, sliding in the snow, notes left on doors, frozen eye brows, and amazing miracles, Saturday came.
 
Let me give you a little run down of how Saturday went.
 
6:30 am. wake up. First thought that runs through my head, "Oh my gosh we get transfer calls today." Needless to say, I was stressed. This phone call basically determines your life. All morning Sister Hansen and I are stressing, yet telling ourselves that we are staying and that we won't get a phone call until late at night.
 
9:30 am. The phone rings. It's President Wirthlin. He tells Sister Hansen that she is staying and that she is becoming a Sister Trainer Leader. Then he pauses. "Hang on, let me find where Sister Langford is going...." I'm on edge. Probably going to pass out. "Oh Sister Langford, you are going to Norwood, Potdam branch..... oh and you are also a Sister Trainer Leader..."
 
WHAT?!?
 
So that's the news kids. I'm going to Potsdam and I'm going to be a Sister Trainer Leader.
 
Here are the things I've heard about Potsdam. (Aka what every single person has told me)!
 
-Its cold.
-I'm going to freeze.
-I will turn into an Eskimo.
-I better have a warm coat.
-I will probably be able to see the northern lights.
-It's cold.
 
and my personal favorite...
 
-that sounds like a really gross soup.
 
So yup. Potsdam is waaaaaaaay up near the Canadian border. Haha perfect place for winter. But in all reality, I'm way excited to be going there. As for being a STL, (Sister Trainer Leader), I'm way nervous. I've been having a lot of anxiety about the whole matter, but I also know that I can be strengthened through Christ.
 
This morning while getting ready the song, "Come, Come, Ye Saints," came on. The second verse hit me hard...
 
Why should we mourn or think our lot is hard?
Tis not so; all is right.
Why should we think to earn a great reward
If we now shun the fight.
Gird up your loins; fresh courage take.
Our God will never us forsake;
And soon we'll have this tale to tell-
All is well! All is well!
 
I know that I had been ready to fly the "Coop" and how I was ready for all this, but it's still nerve wracking and overwhelming. I know that I will need that fresh courage and strength from my Heavenly Father. This is a time for faith not fear. I think what I have really learned this week more than anything else is that God loves me. That this is His plan.
 
And despite some of the hard-times in Cooperstown there will be so much I will miss. As I got up to bare my testimony for the last time in the Oneonta Branch I was truly hit with the realization that these people have changed my life. That because of what I have done, how I have served, the trials that have come, I am a different person. I am so grateful for the people here. Especially Grandma Dorothy who bakes us cookies and tells us stories and glows when we read the Book of Mormon. And the Hopkins family who is going to the temple this week to do baptisms for their family. Especially them.
 
I am excited for this new chapter of my mission in the frozen tundra of Potsdam where I will be able to see Canada. I love the gospel. This church is true. Amen.
 
XOXO,
Sister Langford






 

No comments:

Post a Comment