Monday, March 3, 2014

"Downtimes=Opportunities for Humility, Gospel Changing Lives, & Missionary Hashtags."

BLOG

Hello Mis Amigos!!

Well, to put it simply this week has been a week of lots of ups and downs. Not really from an outside perspective, but in my heart I suppose. That sounds kind of dramatic.... but let me explain. 
Every transfer, I try and think of one Christ-like attribute that I would really like to focus on. This transfer I chose "humility."  I thought it would be great! Well the thing is, when you pray for humility, God doesn't just instantly make you humble, He gives you opportunities to become humble. Such opportunities are usually not the most cheerful or fun, but they definitely strengthen you! So Heavenly Father helped me this week by helping me realize my weaknesses, and mistakes and compelling me to humility because of them. Not to mention many of our investigators choosing to drop us this week. But let me tell you something, this week I feel like I learned much about grace and how it plays a part in my life. I know that these moments are not to break me, but to strengthen me. I really felt like this video was the story of my life this week....

(mom I want you to put in the mormon message called "the will of God" just go to youtube and I'm sure you can find it and then put it in :) ) 

I know that we don't have to be perfect now. Heavenly Father IS patient with our progress. I'll finish this little thought with a quote by Brad Wilcox...

"There should never be just two options; perfection or giving up. When learning the piano, are the only options performing at Carnegie Hall or quitting? No. Growth and development take time. Learning takes time. When we understand grace, we understand that God is long-suffering, that change is a process, and that repentance is a pattern in our lives"

I know that that is true. I know that my Savior really does live and love me. I know that this gospel is true and definitely has the power to change lives, as I see it change mine every single day. 

Now on to the miracles of the week...

1. We had our second official lessons with our new investigators (remember, knocked on their door?) Ok. MOST. SOLID. LESSON. EVER. Nels told us that he knew we were an answer to prayers. You can see how much faith he has because he has so much anxiety and is so nervous to have people in his home, yet he invites us in and listens. ALSO. We invited him to say the closing prayer at the beginning of the lesson. He declined because he said he was far too nervous. End of the lesson, guess who said the prayer! It was so so powerful. The spirit was definitely there and prompted him hard core! Jo really related to the idea of the eternal perspective and you could see she was getting emotional over it. Ugh!! Just one more testimony that THE GOSPEL IS TRUE AND HAS THE POWER TO CHANGE LIVES! 

2. Ok.  Remember when I first arrived in Potsdam? When I first met this awesome lady, and she told me that she didn't even like reading the Book of Mormon, and that she wasn't sure if she wanted to keep coming to church? Well this Sunday she got up in front of the whole church and bore her testimony about how much she loves the Book of Mormon and what an amazing change it has made in her life. She talked about how her life has gotten so much better since we started diligently studying it with her. Now, I don't take any credit, but seriously, look how awesome the Book of Mormon is! Everyone, go read it. k? 
3. We may be picking up a new investigator tonight. But here's the way cool back story. 

There's this college kid in the branch who is a recent convert (we will call him RC for short).  So one day he is hanging out on campus with some friends and he sees this girl looking lost and sad with a ton of luggage. So he feels prompted to go and talk to her. SO HE DOES. He finds out that she just moved here from Michigan to be a live-in nanny. She has no friends, no family, and was lost. So RC helps her get to where she needs to, and gives her his number if she ever needs anything. Weeks go by, he doesn't hear from her.... THEN. She calls him, says her situation is not good and she needs help. RC goes and gets her out, then helps her move in with one of the member families of the branch. This family BRINGS HER TO CHURCH ON SUNDAY where we meet her and chat with her. I seriously think she may be the single most prepared person in the world. So we are having dinner with the family tonight and we will see what happens! But seriously, how amazing is it that Heavenly Father just works through people like this Recent Convert to help his children. SO AMAZING. 

Also... random fun facts...

We went to MLC (in Utica) again this week. during this two day trip we
           
            - Went to a target for the first time in 9 months. it was so great. 

            - learned a new style of teaching that seems pretty intimidating, but we are pretty stoked to try it out!

            - Just had so much fun with all the wonderful missionaries!

Now the giggles (I promise this blog is almost done!) 

1. "I've heard a laugh just like that at the zoo!" - Less-Active

"Are you saying I sound like a hyena?" - Sister Davis

"What does a hyena even sound like?" - me

"Can you laugh again please?" - Less-active  

(That's pretty much how our visits with them go!)

2. in the car ride home from Utica we thought of missionary hashtags (for our mission) for about 45 minutes. Enjoy!!
#10:31pm #disobedient #woodshed
#knockknockknock
#checkyourspeed
#scabies
#bewareofprideboyyoureternalsoulisatstake

3. "Ok, so we have them go over to their child of life... " -Elder

"WHAT?! YOU MEAN THEIR KIDS?" -other elder. 

Alright. Hasta luego.

XOXO,
Sister Langford

No comments:

Post a Comment