Monday, March 18, 2013

Mish Monday : Why I Chose to Serve a Mission

It only seems logical that my first Mish Monday post be centered around my decision to serve.

The story really starts way back in September. I had just begun my journey as a freshy-man here at the BYU. My sister, Meganne and I had this crazy idea that we should try and do the Disney College Program, where you get to work at DisneyWorld for a summer!  So we both applied and unfortunately only I was accepted. They offered me a job and I was SO excited! Yet, I was feeling somewhat uneasy about the whole thing. I wanted to do it, and I wanted it to work out... yet I could not find peace on the matter. I prayed to my Heavenly Father and I knew that working at DisneyWorld was not something I should do. Finally, I declined the offer and I found peace. I didn't know why I wasn't supposed to go, but I knew I was making the right choice.

It wasn't even a month later when we were all gathered to watch conference in my apartment. President Monson made the announcement that sisters could now go on missions when they were nineteen years old. An announcement that changed my life. I felt overcome with the spirit.

It took several months, a lot of prayer, and meditation before I came to my final decision. Actually one of the biggest influences on my decision came when I went and watched one of my best friends open her mission call. It made it all seem real. Again I was so overcome with the spirit. It was as if Heavenly Father was telling me that I could do this. That a mission was something that could actually happen for me if I put all my trust in him.

I finally decided serving a mission was something I needed to do. Of course I had/ still have fears and doubts. But ever since I made the decision I have felt peace and comfort surrounding it. I have had multiple instances where I know God has been telling me that this is right. I know that I have been prepared to serve the people of New York. I am so excited to be a part of this great work! I love my Heavenly Father and I am so incredibly grateful and blessed.





Also, here is a pic of this Sunday with all my girls from high school, including my friend who's decision to serve helped me make my decision to serve. She left for her mission today actually. I am so grateful for her influence in my decision.



XOXO
Langford

No comments:

Post a Comment