So fun fact, I'm going a mission! I leave for the New York, Utica mission on May, 29th. In the mean time, I have been trying to put together the perfect missionary wardrobe. I felt like maybe I should share some of the awesome pieces I have found, as well as the best places to shop for missionary attire.
Since I'm so tall (5'11) I had a bit of a struggle finding skirts that were long enough! All of these were plenty long for my mile long legs! Even the pencil skirts from Old Navy! I definitely recommend those skits! They come in a ton of different colors and are on sale for like $12 right now! So sisters, hit up your local Old Navy's! (Tip, get a size up in the pencil skirt though to avoid being too bootylicious! I mean, this is the mission field after all!)
Also, In my search for adorable blouses I was hit by the controversial issue of the "sheer top". This has been a heated topic among sister missionaries to be. Through intense research I have discovered this, a sheer top with a modbod underneath is acceptable under certain discretion.
1. The modbod must COMPLETELY cover the G's.
2. The modbod probably shouldn't be white, so no one confuses it with G's
3. Don't make ALL of your blouses be sheer, try to narrow it down to just a few!
Heres what you need to keep in mind,
1. Can I walk in these? Like, A lot?
2. Would I be embarrassed to be wearing these shoes?
3. Can I fit Dr. Scholl's inserts in these shoes to maximize comfort?
If the answer is yes, then buy those flats!
You may also notice the sweet boots! These are so comfy and hold up really well! I got these more for fall and when there isn't a TON of snow. I still plan on purchasing some that are more snow boots.
Ok, I didn't really have any pics, but heres what I would recommend...
1. Bring scarves! Seriously, I hear they make you feel better about your monotonous wardrobe. Bring some that are good for all seasons! I guess depending on where you are going that may not be an issue... But in a climate like New York I am bringing some that are more light weight and some that are more wintery!
2. Cute necklaces are a must! They can dress up any boring outfit
3. I'm personally obsessed with tying ribbons around your neck with a button up, so it acts as a sort of pseudo-tie/ bow tie. Its actually really cute and helps a more casual button up look more formal!
4. A good bag! I'm still on the look out! I'm in search for one that can be a side bag, but has adjustable straps to make it a backpack! (If you see anything, let me know!)
6. Winter accessories (hats, gloves, etc)
Basically the message of this blog post is this, just because you are going to be a sister missionary, does not mean you have to look frumpy! Keep a look out for fun patterns and colors, yet keep it professional looking! Good luck Ladies!